West Kirby · St Bridget's Centre

A THOUSAND
YEARS, ONE
SMALL CHURCH

A volunteer-run museum built from the stones the builders nearly threw away. Vikings to Victorians, told through what was carved, buried, and dug back up at St Bridget's.

1892Museum founded
1000+Years of history told
5Church rebuildings represented
FreeAdmission, every Saturday

About us

A cupboard of stones that became a museum.

During the 1869 rebuilding of St Bridget's Church, carved stones and fragments came to light that the builders would otherwise have carted away. Charles Dawson Brown — the church's warden and a local historian — made sure they weren't.

After his death in 1892, West Kirby raised funds for a memorial, and the old Hearse House by the schoolroom became a museum to hold what he'd rescued. It's been growing ever since.

Read our full history →

History of the museum

Founded 1892, reopened 2013

Closed for much of the twentieth century and open only by appointment, the museum was fully refurbished in 2013 as part of the redevelopment of St Bridget's Centre — and has welcomed thousands of Saturday visitors since.

Read the full history

Charles Dawson Brown

The man who saved the stones

Churchwarden, local historian, and member of the Wirral Board of Guardians. The museum he inspired still carries his name, and his memorial window survives in the church next door.

More about Charles
The Anglo-Norse hogback stone at St Bridget's, carved with a roof-shingle pattern along its curved ridge

From the collection · The Hogback Stone

A house for the dead, carved in Anglo-Norse Wirral.

The oldest and best-known object connected with the museum isn't inside the building at all — it's in the church next door. Discovered during the 1869 restoration, this 10th-century hogback stone is carved with a curved ridge and roof-shingle pattern that echoes Scandinavian-type houses of the Viking age: a stylised house for the dead.

“The non-local type of stone underlines the exotic and elite nature of this particular memorial.”

From the museum's own catalogue notes

See the full collection

Visit

Free entry · Saturdays only

Opening hours

Saturdays
10am – 1pm

Closed Sunday to Friday except for pre-booked group visits and special exhibitions — see News & Events.

Where to find us

St Bridget's Centre
West Kirby, CH48 3JT

Small car park off St Bridget's Lane. Step-free entrance and wheelchair access throughout.

Admission

Free
Donations welcome

Group visits from £2 per head, maximum 20, two weeks' notice required.

Plan ahead

Bringing a group, or tracing local history?

Group visits

Bring a group to the museum

Clubs, schools, historical societies and social groups are welcome by arrangement — £2 per head, up to 20 people, with two weeks' notice.

Book a group visit

Research Group

Researching West Kirby's past?

Our Research Group holds decades of local material — including records of who lived and worked in individual houses and shops across the village. Genuine enquiries are welcome.

Contact the Research Group

Get involved

Run entirely by volunteers who decided to bother.

Volunteer at the museum

Stewarding on a Saturday morning, cataloguing, or helping with events. No experience needed — just be over 18 and willing to learn.

Volunteer with us

Make a donation

100% of what you give goes straight to keeping the museum running and the collection cared for. Every donation helps, however small.

Donate to the museum