History of the Museum
This museum was founded in 1892 in memory of Charles Dawson Brown, who was a Churchwarden at St Bridget's Church.
During the extensive building work undertaken on the church during the period 1869-1871, a number of carved stones and other artefacts had been brought to light and, as a local historian, Charles recognised their significance in time to save them being carted away by the builders.
After his death a Public Subscription was raised to provide a memorial in his memory. The Hearse House, adjacent to the old school room, was altered to become the Charles Dawson Brown Museum.
This collection has had limited use in recent decades. It was opened for visitors by appointment only and on special days such as the St Bridget's Summer Fair.
When a full redevelopment of St Bridget's Centre was planned, the re-opening of the Museum became a key part of the scheme, and 2013 saw the museum's first ever regular opening hours.
In the past few years we we have welcomed thousands of visitors during our opening hours every Saturday morning from 10am to 1pm.